Coconut Oil for a Whiter, Brighter, and Healthier Smile
Supermodel Gisele Bündchen revealed one of her health secrets, in her book, “Lessons: My Path to a Meaningful Life”. As part of her morning routine, she wakes up around 5 a.m. and swishes coconut oil around her mouth. This daily ritual called Oil Pulling serves “to clean out all the guck and to detoxify teeth and gums.” Recently, coconut oil has become insanely popular, as it is a natural and beneficial substance. Unlike other oils which are composed of long-chain triglycerides, coconut oil consists mainly of medium-chain triglycerides (MCTs). The primary MCT in coconut oil, Lauric Acid is used by the body to create monolaurin which helps kill harmful bacteria. The idea behind Oil Pulling is oil acts as a magnet for microbes that contain bacteria which through brushing alone are hard to free. Oil allows for these bacterias to be picked out of your teeth, gums, pores and tubules within the teeth and intermix with oil solution-making it easy to dispose of and detoxify your mouth.
Benefits of Coconut Oil Pulling:
- Reduces plaque build-up
- Reduces bad breath
- Prevents cavities and tooth decay
- Improves gum health
- Reduces gum inflammation and gingivitis
How to Use Coconut Oil:
- Put 1 tablespoon of coconut oil in your mouth. Swish the coconut oil in your mouth by pushing and pulling it between your teeth for 15-20 minutes, similarly to using a mouthwash (but a little longer).
- Spit out the coconut oil. Make sure to spit the coconut oil in the trash instead of the sink since the coconut oil could clog drains.
- Brush your teeth. Brushing your teeth helps to remove any coconut oil still in your mouth that could contain bacteria.
*It’s recommended that oil pulling is done in the morning before eating or drinking.
Make Sure Not To:
- Swallow the coconut oil while swishing.
- Due to the pulling, the coconut oil will have bacteria and toxins that is has taken from the teeth and mouth that could make you sick.
- Use oil pulling as a replacement for a regular oral hygiene routine
- While oil pulling has many benefits, it’s recommended that oil pulling is used in addition to a regular oral hygiene routine which includes brushing, flossing, and regular dental check-ups.
Ultimately, if you’re looking for an efficient, healthy, natural way to whiten and brighten your smile, then adding coconut oil to your daily oral routine might just do the trick!
At Englewood Dental, we’re always happy to help. If you have any questions or want to schedule an appointment with one of our dentists, call us at 201-871-3556 or click here to connect online!